During the process of creating this website for our clients, I did things from design, to aiding in coding, to doing usability testing and determining what the results meant. The latter was my primary focus.
My first job, after determining what sections were needed on the site, was to learn how to organize them. For this process I used a card sorting activity to help with how beginners might want to interact with the site if they wanted to learn more, or wanted to join. Below is a typed up analysis of a session with 5 responses, and what we learned from those responses. The button will direct you straight to the document if you prefer.
We then used this data to help us when creating a prototype in InVision. You can view that live prototype below (keep in mind the prototype is now in a complete state after incorporating styles, but was bare bones at the time).